Sunday, October 11, 2009

Phone-y


For four years now, I’ve been using a badly chipped, bruised but still trusty Nokia 2600. The phone looks too beat up worthy of everyone’s ridicule yet unworthy for even a thief to pay any mind.


This was the phone I bought four years ago with my own money. I remember going to the store and picking what I first saw out of dire need – a sleek and simple Nokia 2600. At that time I had to make do with a Nokia 8210 (which was still a hot item), a gift from my then-boyfriend.

After a bitter break-up followed by a catty feud, I knew I had to get rid of the damn thing. Returning it to him would be stupid. Pawning or selling it would have been a cool idea. However, using it to meet and greet other guys would no longer validate the fact why we broke up in the first place.

Well-meaning people wonder why I refuse to get a new phone, still remaining loyal to this rather obsolete model even when my salary can somehow afford me to buy a way better looking celly.

I have never been good at penny-pinching especially when it comes to luxuries, so that won’t be a reason. If it is because this phone holds a sentimental value to me, I really don’t know.

I guess I'm just not the type who is particuar with the latest in gadgets, or the kind of person who has to get what's new because it's what's in ergo wreaking havoc on my social status. Sure I ogle at sleek, new models at times, even wish that my phone had a camera to take snapshots of me in my random i feel-pretty-and-need-a-camera-quick' moments.

Who cares? My worth is not measured by the model of phone I use anyway.

Of course, these high-end phones capable of doing infinitely many tasks can prove to be very useful especially to people constantly on-the-go. But as long as my phone is still able to perform what it is basically designed to do – call and text – then, that shouldn’t be a problem to me at all. Okay, so I use it as my alarm clock, calculator and calendar too.

Besides, my job requires me to sit for eight hours or more in front of a computer, doing intense clacking and constant tab browsing. So between my lappy or a new celly, you know what I’d choose.

My Nokia 2600 is still highly functional; never mind the form. A little replacement on the exterior though, and I’m good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment