Friday, May 7, 2010

Sun dog in Cebu

sun dog

At around noontime today, my officemates and I marvelled at an interesting sight from up above. It was a rainbow-colored halo that surrounded the sun. I didn't know something like that could occur but it did, and it was pretty cool.

That halo was said to be a parhelion, more commonly known as a sun dog. Scientists explain that a sun dog is caused by the reflection or refraction of sunlight by plenty of small ice crystals that comprise cirrus or cirrostratus clouds.

It was my first time to see a sun dog for real and it was a really unique sight to behold.

The sun dog was only seen in Cebu, though.

1 comment:

  1. Chuy..... too bad I missed it... darn! I was in the house that time...

    By the way, have you ever heard about yummy-cebu.com? I hear they just finished a new contest called Mama's day out!

    ReplyDelete